The freelance economy is significantly booming. There are millions of freelance businessmen and women around the world. As time passes by, this great number will surely continue to increase. The reason why freelance businesses are thriving is that it is easy and cost-effective, making it perfect for those who want to build their own source of income even when they are still studying and working full-time.
The fact that you want to venture into a career of freelancing proves that you have the passion for business. The first thing you need to do to make your dream freelance business happen is to build your personal business brand along with a well-designed and responsive website containing an impressive digital portfolio that will set you apart in the crowded market. If you are already prepared to develop you brand and launch your freelance business, grab the opportunity today.
7 Beginner Steps on How to Start a Freelance Business
The foundation of your long-term success being a freelancer depends upon building a unique and distinctive brand of your own. This means that it should be a concise and clear representation of who you are and the things you can offer such as expertise.
A personal brand story can be best told through a professional-looking and responsive website as well as social media sites that display your interests and personality. Nowadays, Google has been the great “background check” tool. People do extensive research before trusting a business.
Here are the steps on how to start a freelance business:
- Choose a Name for Your Business – Giving your business a name is a first. It can even be your own name. Whatever you may want to that is align to what you offer. After that, you will need to explain in a concise and clear 150-word what your business is for.
- Create Your Own Website – Next step is to create a website for your business. Your website is the face of your business. It will clearly tell your story and every aspect of the business to your potential customers.
- Build a Digital Portfolio on Your Website – If you have already set your website up, it is now time for you to build an impressive digital portfolio that will include case studies that show the results you have achieved for the satisfaction of your clients.
- Optimize a LinkedIn Profile for Discovery – A LinkedIn profile is important for your online visibility. It must be keyword-optimized so that people who are looking for freelancers can easily find you.
- Build Your Credibility Using Social Media – You can leverage many social media sites such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube in sharing your business. This builds the trust of your audience online.
- Get More Experience by Using Freelance Websites – If you are a beginner in the freelancing business, you can build your experience by working in online freelancing websites. There are freelance marketplaces you can join.
- Get an Online Payment Processor and Financial Management Tool – If you are not in freelance marketplaces, you can also take the payments of your customers through PayPal. For you finances, monthly cash flow and invoices, you can find a good tool like QuickBooks.